Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer of Fun, Week Nine.

This last week of summer has been such a wonderful balance of fun outings and awesome nothing-ness.  It's been a great week to go out on...

Monday:  School supply shopping.  I was more excited than anybody...I love me some brand new school supplies!!!  I do not, however, love the actual exchange of money for school supplies.  Public school is pricey!!! :)  The kids and I ended up finding everything Harry needed (including a new backpack) and then topped the morning off with lunch at Johnny's. 

On Monday night, some folks from our LIFE Group took dinner out to the Campground where our middle and high school students were taking part in The Great Staycation.  We did a taco bar, which was a huge hit, and our kids enjoyed the experience so much that after serving the students, we stuck around to eat and play a few games.

They were sweaty, sweaty messes by the end of the evening.

Kim and I had a blast strolling down memory lane and showing the kids our "beds" from back in the day.  Those Campground memories are once-in-a-lifetime kind-of stuff and I will forever be thankful for them!

While our cabin has had quite a few "upgrades," we were still able to find a few of our signatures...

Man, I loved high school.

I think the hit for Babe, however, was singing on the "stage."  Our middle girls LOVE being the center of attention.  Wonder where they get that from?!?!?!?!?

We came home and immediately bathed.

Tuesday:  On Tuesday, we took advantage of our CityPasses again and headed down to the zoo.

We had a great time!  Our main goals were to see the "Horties" (elephants) and the Komodo dragon and we accomplished both and so much more!  It was especially exciting because we were able to see the elephant eating and the (smaller) Komodo dragon moving all around his enclosure.  Babe and Harry were super stoked.

Harris was our "map man."  That kid LOVES to navigate.

He also loves being a big brother.  He is naturally sweet.

Our CityPasses included all-you-can-ride bracelets, so of course we stopped by the train and carousel on our way out.

And because Harris was such a great helper (in addition to helping with Emmy, he held doors open for strangers and was a great listener!), I decided to say, "yes" when he asked to take a family pic in the photo booth.

Fun times.

We finished off the trip with a stop by The Varsity on the way home.  I'm so proud of my kids and their love for that grease.

And that was Tuesday.  We did spend the evening at Harry's elementary school, taking a tour of the building and meeting the new principal.  We're getting excited for Kindergarten!!!!!

Wednesday:  On Wednesday, we finished up with Harris' appointments for the week.  He had a run at the dermatologist's office of Monday afternoon and Wednesday morning we headed to Lilburn for a follow-up eye appointment.  Thankfully, his vision is perfectly appropriate!  He even scored a pair of the super-awesome-I-just-had-my-eyes-dialated sunglasses, which he loved.  For a few minutes.

Because we were in Lilburn, we headed to Ben's office immediately after our appointment.  Babe was also given a pair of super-awesome sunglasses and had a blast pretending to be the Police Captain at the office.

We finished up our visit with lunch at Los Hermanos and then headed home for naps.

Wednesday evening, Harris and I ended up taking a trip down to Egleston for an x-ray, where, thankfully, everything turned out perfectly appropriate once again.  Last week during room time, Harris managed to swallow a "jewel."  Don't ask.  I called the doc and we didn't worry too much about it until he started complaining of throat and stomach pains a few days later...

So down to Egleston we went.  Turns out he had a throat infection caused by a virus, but absolutely no "jewel" anywhere in his body. 

And that was Wednesday.

Thursday:  On Thursday morning, we chilled.  And bought some new kicks for school.  Teaching Harris to tie shoes is on the agenda for this weekend.

Thursday evening was spent cooking out with the rest of the staff at our church.  I sure do love a good cookout.

And then Friday.  On Friday, we spent the morning doing laundry and at lunch time, you guessed it, we went to Johnny's.  Auntie only works during the weekdays, so we figured we'd better take advantage of our last opportunity to see her in action.

It didn't disappoint.

Friday night was spent enjoying our second best deal of the summer.  We loaded up the family and headed down to Turner Field for a little Braves action.  I purchased a value pack through school back in the spring, which gave us four club-level seats for the price of one.  Not too bad.

We had a blast.

We stopped by the CNN Center for dinner (the kids LOVED it) and then headed on over to the field...

We had such a great time!  Hadley's favorite part was doing the "Homahawk Chop" and I'm pretty sure Harris' was cotton candy.  Other highlights included singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and running the bases on the upper level.

Even sweet Emmy had fun.  She watched the game, laughed at the folks behind us, and even managed to catch some sleep eye admist all the action.

Go Braves!

We made it through the seventh inning, thanks to naps earlier in the day, which was a huge accomplishment for us!  We got home and got everyone in the bed just in time to watch the lighting of the Olympic torch.  We were so close, in fact, that we let the big kids come out of their beds and watch it with us in our room.  Such a fun family memory....

And now it's over. 

We've got one more finale event planned for this evening, but then it's back to the world of work and routine. 

I'm a little bit ready. 

Just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment